The History of Mwana Nshuti
After the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi, many children were dispersed in the different parts of the country. They were facing a lot of problems. Mwana Nshuti vocational training school was created following the urgent need to improve the life of children in Rwanda.
This program started in 1998 in Kicukiro District, Kagarama Sector, Kigali; by welcoming in street children, giving them some food and education. A huge number of those children were in vocational skills such as sewing and painting. Later on, most of them found jobs after following Mwana Nshuti Program.
Mwana Nshuti has also sponsored students in order to complete their interrupted primary or secondary schools. It has grown throughout the years and intend to improve and provide more opportunities to members of the community and to students in order to develop themselves through a variety of vocational skills.
Mwana Nshuti ‘s main objectives are to:
- Help vulnerable young people to create their own jobs.
- Train students to work together in association.
- Assist students to change their standard of living and the broader society they live within.
Mwana Nshuti vocational training school has two branches:
Mwana Nshuti Kicukiro Branch
In Kagarama, Mwana Nshuti offer the following three vocational training options including Hairdressing, Culinary Arts and Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
Mwana Nshuti Bugesera Branch
In Bugesera, Mwana Nshuti offers the following two vocational training options Sewing and Construction.
In both branches, we also teach each students courses on Entrepreneurship, Mathematics, English, and Swahili to enable them to further their economic success beyond basic employment.
Students are encouraged to be innovative, to think big and out of the box when it comes to the possibilities awaiting them after graduation from Mwana Nshuti.
Mwana Nshuti Milestones
Over the past several years we’ve had some exciting developments!
- Sewing associations have been successful in the community:
- At the Centre of Nyabagendwa there are three ladies working together,
- At the Centre of Rihima four women work together in another association,
- At the Centre of Kabagora a group of one gentleman and two women have joined together.
- Starting their own atelier with modern machines, a man and woman have even been employing sewing graduates at the Centre of Kabukuba!
- In 2018, we entered into the 10th promotion of Hairdressing, 5th promotion of Culinary Arts and the 5th, year-long promotion of Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
Currently we are at the 16th Promotion of Hairdressing, 11th Promotion of Culinary Arts, 17th Promotion of Tailoring, 13th Promotion of Construction and the 8th Promotion of Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
In 2023, Mwana Nshuti will be celebrating its 25th Anniversary since it started!
“ Ever since we opened the sewing school in Bugesera and started the mechanics option in Kicukiro, Kigali. Mwana Nshuti has brought a lot of changes. We see the students and teachers praying together in the morning and the students studying comfortably in English. The teachers even take to visit them in their homes in order to understand better their situation. That allows the program to know areas of improvement to better meet students’ needs.”— Augustin Bizimana, English Teacher at Kicukiro Branch.
” There is much to bring us joy as the work of Mwana Nshuti continues. Mwana Nshuti is now well known in the districts around us, as a quality vocational training school. Our relationships and the alumni continue to grow.”— Antoine Samvura, Friends Peace House Coordinator